Saturday, May 16, 2009

General Gyaan on selection Procedure?

Question - Sir,
I have done B.V.A.(B.F.A.) in applied arts and have applied for the VC course in IDC......I got CEED AIR 140.
What is my chance of getting a call for the further rounds from IDC??
Also can u pls tell me what do they see in a VC applicant??
How should i prepare for the further rounds...n what kind of portfolio should i have for the interview....i have done a little photography during my college and have made campaigns and also some illustrations......what all should i bring and how many sheets as the interview last 10-15 mins. as is written in the IDC site.
PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks

Answer

First of all as you are BFA you need to really stand out of at least many who pass every year and given it's a direct art course you better have best skills almost ranking in top 15/20 across India.

Secondly, you have to have a very good communication skills, as it's must many BFA lack on this.

Third on your portfolio - typically for VC they would look for your skills on themes, what you say is it really in there in your portfolio from idea, metaphors etc. MOre than how many what can you cover best may be top 5/6 works you can showcase but ensure you can showcase them well in about 10/15 mins. Try to cover different aspects in works like photogrpahy, sculptures, sketching, concept, abstracts etc. Do not bore the examiners with tonnes of work but just one type. In general typically interviews long for good candidates, so do not worry much about the interview time...

Also in general it's seen that if you are over confident or show you know everything under the world - you may even be asked "ehy you want to join design course? you knwo it all already?"

Another note for all - no of KGs of work does not matter, you may even see people before interiew showing work to all other students around, with huge portfolios etc. don't worry about it. I know even a candidate who just did 2 scupltures in soap got selected

Best of luck!

Bhushan
Admin
CEEDINDIA

6 comments:

Gg2685 said...

i have been called for the test and interview to be held on 18th june for product design at IDC, IITB. kindly guide me how to prepare for it?

Shilpi Boylla said...

Program of interest: M Des Programme - Visual Communication and M Des Programme - Interaction Design.

Hello,

I am Shilpi Boylla, writing to you to know about M Des Programme - Visual Communication and M Des Programme - Interaction Design at IIT-Bombay, Industrial Design Centre (IDC).


I read about this program on your website. As per the requirements stated there, I have 6 years of experience as a design professional and a Design Mentor (Graphic Design - Print media). I have a 2 year Post Graduate Diploma in Fashion Communication from the National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi (www.niftindia.com) and a portfolio ( http://www.coroflot.com/shilpiboylla ). I have a Graduation Degree in English Literature from Delhi University, St. Stephen's College. Prior to that i studied Commercial Art as a main subject in 10+2, CBSE.


My questions are:
1. With my qualification am i eligible to sit for the CEED? My concern being that I have a PGD in Fashion Communication from NIFT, New Delhi

2. If not, which other program can i apply for, to study Visual Communication/Interaction Design?

3. Is there any scholarship scheme that the institute provides?

Nishita said...

hi, i found this link pretty useful... its written by a MDes guy... who had topped CEED n landed in IISc
http://teacupblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/preparation-for-getting-into-d-school.html

Rateesh_rex.here said...

Hi,I'm Rateesh, n m interested in doing MDes(Industrial design or Product Design),I'm from Mechanical background. So for me graphics is not new,but the finer aspect and creative aspect is bit lacking. I have given this years CEED,but couldnt qualify. one of my friend said to keep on observing things around you 'coz that will help me. And i'm following it. Bt i want to knw if there are any classes for CEED like we have for GATE or what more can i do to improve. Right now I'm near by to Mumbai n working. It would of gr8 help for me if i could get some assistance in this regards.

Aarya said...

@Nishita
Thanks for this useful link...

Geetanjali said...

Hi dere,
I am Geetanjali.... an IIT aspirant nd a NIFT graduate(Fashion & Lifestyle Accessory backgrnd)...

I am gonna be applying for Visual communication (IDC), hoping that I clear my Ceed. The concern here is that I have a lil idea as to what comes in the DAT exam. How and What sort of question do u get to attempt in the exam for VC??

However, I also will apply for Industrial Design(IDC). For ID, i fear wheathr student frm design backgrnd are given much preference or not, it being a lil technical based programme with more engineers and architects applying fr d same. Even in DAT exam for ID, few questions frm engineering are asked....where I dnt think I cn score atall.....

please help?????
clarity is what I require..... whom do u think I should speck to for the same while your suggestion is of utmost importance too........

Thank you so much. Awaiting for your reply.

Regards
Geetanjali